Finding your wedding venue can be a challenge, especially with so many options out there! Each venue has their own unique offerings, and it takes time to figure out what is important to you for your big day. When we meet with couples we find that there are many factors that help them make their decision on their venue. Below are some of the top items we hear about regularly:
- Size. Depending on how many guests you’re inviting, this can limit your options right off the bat. When you start your venue search, it’s extremely helpful to have your guest list (at least mostly) put together. You want to be sure that you’re not reserving a space that is too large or too small.
- Cost. This is another reason that it’s important to have your guest list estimate – as a difference in 25 to 50 people in attendance makes a HUGE difference in how you should budget! A couple of other important factors… be sure to know about the extras (taxes, service charges)! Also a common rule is to expect about 80% of the guests you invite to actually attend the wedding. And when you’re trying to compare venues it’s important to really understand what each is including in their cost (whether it be package or just included in the rental fee) so you’re comparing apples to apples.
- Responsiveness of Coordinator. When you are starting your search for your venue, if you are not getting timely responses from the coordinator, this can be a sign of how the rest of your planning will go. It might not seem so important just when getting initial information but when you’re in the swing of planning and need answers quickly sometimes, it can make a big difference in stress levels!
- Ease of Planning. Every venue includes different things, and either has vendors whom they recommend OR you are responsible to find all of your vendors on your own. Either way can work great, but doing all of the leg work on your own definitely takes more time. Most of the time when vendors are recommended from your venue, it is because they have a long time working relationship and trust them to take care of their clients. Keep this in mind when reviewing lists provided to you.
- Look of Venue. For some couples the appearance/style of the venue can be the number one priority. For others, it’s always a factor but the other items mentioned here may rank higher on the list. Everyone is different, and that’s why it’s important to come up with your own individual list of must-haves!
- Location. This is another component that varies greatly couple to couple. For some, it’s convenient access for travelers. That might mean being close to the airport, or right off a major highway for easy accessibility. For others, maybe a country wedding is more the preferred style, or maybe a downtown property. When you start your search it’s good to keep these things in mind and consider what is most important to you.
The above list is a great example of conversation starters when you and your fiancé start the planning process. Sometimes it takes visiting a few venues to get a feel for your priorities. There’s no right or wrong way, each couples process is different! Just enjoy the planning as much as possible, and remember… at the end of the day, it means you’re going to marry the man/woman of your dreams! That’s all that matters.
For more information on how the Embassy Suites by Hilton Bloomington can assist with your wedding celebrations, contact us at 952-967-8706 or Allie.Lea@hilton.com. Dates are still available for 2017 weddings!